PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane Down in Hudson River - NYC
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2009, 21:52
protectthehornet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not that impressed

maybe I'm the only one here who thinks things didn't go that well on the old radio.

both the controller and pilot used the wong call sign...ok, not critical in this situation.

BUT.

it is obvious to me that each runway offered by atc to the crew was pretty darn far in terms of flying distance. Runway 1 at TEB and runway 4 (initially) at LGA would require alot of flying...it was obvious to me that the controller did not understand that the plane wasn't flying so much as gliding downhill.

Runway 1 at TEB would have required a downwind, base and final...runway 19(or even 24) at TEB, the same piece of pavement mind you, was more like a modified left base.

To go to runway 4 at LGA was back to the runway of departure...again sort of a long downwind, base and final...runway 13, offered later,seems to indicate that the controller was beginning to understand the limits of this situation.

The first couple of runway offers may have confused the situation a bit...mind you I can't verify that TEB 19(or 24) was makeable or even 13 at LGA, and I'm not suggesting that the hudson wasn't the best choice. BUT, we must communicate and a full understanding of the problem took a few seconds.

I do suggest that we come up with a new radio phrase. REPEATING SULLY,SULLY,SULLY indicates to air traffic control that the plane is now gliding and at best can go 3 miles per thousand feet of altitude above the terrain. This call would also trigger alerting air sea ground rescue units, stop all traffic at all airports nearby and fulfill the ''declaration of emergency'' requirement.

Last edited by protectthehornet; 7th Feb 2009 at 22:26.