PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seeking Data re Mandatory Retirement Ages
Old 7th Feb 2009, 13:24
Huck
Trash du Blanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a follow-up to my earlier requests, would anyone be able to provide some data regarding the actual number of pilots who are staying employed at various airlines after age 60, since the restrictions at those airlines were lifted?

I would be particularly interested in any data from the major U.S. airlines, given that the mandatory age 60 restriction expired for all pilots on the same day.

Fear-mongers among many junior pilots often refer to a "five-year" hold-back in career progress due to the additional five potential years at the top, but my suspicion is that the majority of pilots still leave their employment as soon as they are able to get retirement without any pension penalties for leaving early, and that the actual participation rate among the over-60 group is quite small. Hard numbers, namely, the percentage that stayed on of those eligible to stay on, would be most helpful.
I am a pilot for a large U.S. freight carrier.

We have an excellent pension, equal to half of a pilot's pay average for his/her highest five years. For the majority that is over $120,000 a year. We also have a healthy "B" fund.

But our retirements came to a standstill after the rule changed. Under age 60, they were around 200 a year - now they are around 20.

I had a 757 captain training date prior to the age change. It was subsequently cancelled and I assure you that my career progression has been stalled by at least five years.

The truly amazing thing is this: the age 65 rule was one of the biggest changes to FAA regulation in history, and it was done without one iota of scientific research. For such a hidebound organization it was a truly remarkable gamble.

Think of the worst pilot you ever flew with. Now think of him/her at age 64. It's not the median that matters, it's the fringes. And the flying public gets to participate, unwillingly, in this grand experiment.....