PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in the UK with an FAA PPL
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2009, 21:55
INNflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you will find a paragraph with regards to your radio licence and it states that you need to contact the FCC to get a paper copy of your radio operators licence before you can operate any radio station. i.e. without this you are not operating an aircraft illegaly, but you are operating a radio illegaly (unless accompanied by a pilot with an RT licence).

This can be obtained from here wireless.fcc.gov/uls and believe it or not, there will be a "small" admin fee of aprox £75
Now that's interesting. I'm not sure if I understood that completely right, considering on FAA licenses there's no thing such as a radio license / radio operating exam as in JAR countries.

If I get that paper copy through the aforementioned source, does that mean I do not have to sit the radio operating course in my local JAR country?

Weird isn't it... you have a FAA CPL and talk to all kinds of ATCOs while flying in the States and people think you can't talk to ATC without a license of the local JAR state a pure money-maker imo.

( /rantoff )