PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus II
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2009, 20:13
Flintstone

Originally Posted by charliepie
How flexible do you want to be?
I am as flexible as I feel like being at any given time and will go as far as I need to resolve a problem within the bounds of safety, the regulations and my contract. If that's too confusing for you then here are some examples.

I will exercise captain's discretion where appropriate, legal and with the full agreement of the rest of the crew.

I/we will reduce our rest period where appropriate, legal and with the full agrement of the rest of the crew.

I will join the rest of my crew in doing whatever (within reason) we need to do, even during our 'off' time, to ensure that a flight is conducted in a professional manner and to exceptionally high standards. It is completely normal for bizjet CC to shop for stock or prepare for a trip on their days off. Anyone not happy with this knows they are free to leave, no union rep will tell them what they can and cannot do.

Are you getting the idea? We do what needs to be done to achieve an objective and keep our passengers happy which compares markedly with the 'but-my-contract-says' argument being put forward by some of you. Why is it such a bad thing if some crew members wish to make the extra effort? Why do the militant element feel so threatened by them? Could it be that their (more) professional attituder shows the intransigents petulant behaviour for what it is?

As I said before none of it will make an iota of difference to my job but I don't like lazy bullies. Unfortunately their behaviour will drag down their more decent colleagues. At least they'll have shown the management though, eh? Shown them they're not to be messed with. All the way to the job centre

Last edited by Flintstone; 6th Feb 2009 at 20:16. Reason: Pedantic punctuation.