PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old Cine Film footage wanted?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2009, 19:53
Amos Keeto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Cine Film footage wanted?

I was wondering if any of you have ever shot any cine film (sorry, that’s ‘home movies’ for our Colonial cousins!). I have been working with Avion Video here in UK who are actively seeking out any film taken during the 1950s or 60s, particularly at airports,air shows, or taken by aircrew and converting it to DVDs. They pay for any footage used, but are rapidly running out of ‘new’ material that hasn’t been seen before.
They have tried getting material from various museums and BAE Systems but have run up against brick walls trying to extract films on Viscounts, Vanguards and other historical stuff. Have you ever shot cine film at any airport in 8mm or preferably 16mm format, or have seen any films that the owner might like to see digitally improved and made into a DVD? You would be amazed at what this chap can do with silent film footage with dubbed authentic sounds added and he would like to add:

(1)I can restore film and add authentic sound, using the best quality techniques currently available. I care about what I do. Clips from DVDs like the LAP ones or Independent Airlines are on my website at www.avionvideo.com so people can see what I do.
(2)If this material isn’t restored and transferred to a digital format it will be lost forever once it’s gone beyond PNR.
(3)I pay to use it.[ £500 per hour of edited material] Not a lot, but the cost of having the film transferred is very high.
(4)Amateur filmmakers’ reels are as valuable as those shot professionally, because it was mainly the enthusiasts who bothered to shoot what is now unavailable in mainstream media.

Anything shot between 1950-1980 is sought, basically anything pre video camera era.

Hope some of you can now go scurrying to have a look in your attic if you think you might have some reels of cine film with aircraft on it, stored away that may be lost if not captured and preserved for all to enjoy!