PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus II
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2009, 17:37
Ten West

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowbound
Mate,, Why don't you Stick to Thomson Air ( That is what they call you these days, isn't it??? ) You know very little of what is and has been going on within BA for a long time now. I'm been ivolved in it for the last 11 years now and although there are 0NE or TWO outdated agreements, we are not the over-paid primadonnas everyone on this thread thinks we are. I challenge ANYONE to accept a 40 % pay cut any not be shouting and screaming about it!!!!
My apologies for having the temerity to post my "two cents".
I was under the impression that this thread was open for contributions from any PPRuNe member. I didn't realise that it was purely for BA Cabin Crew. Perhaps you might like to get it moved to a BA private forum to prevent any future occurrences of "Unpalatable truths".
I don't recall ever describing you or your colleagues as "Over-paid primadonnas". I do recall saying that it would be your inflexibility and confrontational manner that would do for you in the end more than the financial burden on the company.
If you have such a bad deal at BA then why are crew from other operators posting on here telling you how good you've got it?

Just curious.

Originally Posted by Tiger
If BA does "sack the lot of them" your be paying for them though your tax as unemployment benefit!
Not at all. Using "selective quoting" may be good for generating strong feelings, but it does nothing to further this debate.
Re-applying for your old job under new terms and conditions is a common practice in the world away from the airline community. It's happened to me and to many people I know.
The applications are considered on individual merit. Those who have consistently taken a "Big picture" view and showed flexibility and an operationally-minded attitude have fared consistently better than those applicants with an "I'm alright Jack" mentality.

It won't just be me paying for their unemployment benefit through my income taxes. It'll be people like Glamgirl paying for it from hers as well.

Blah Blah 1970`s British Leyland, Coal Mines etc
You may have been annoyed or not in the best frame of mind, but the industrial unrest during this period is slightly more than the unions fault.
There were many factors involved in the demise of British industry, that's true. This probably isn't the time or place to get into all that, but one consistent thread that ran throughout the whole period was the attitude of the trade unions and their perpetual nay-saying to even the merest suggestion of change. Look where it ultimately got them.

Coal Mines. You wanna try that for a job? The strikes were due to the closure of the mines during the 80`s.
...Which were hastened by militant industrial action taken in a King Canute style attempt to prevent progress towards creating a more modern and competitive industry.

Something now days perhaps in hindsight should have stayed open (with talk of UK power supplies in a fine balance).
Indeed. I fully agree with you there. We could have still had a coal industry if everyone had adapted and changed rather than trying to preserve the status quo by throwing bricks at coppers under the leadership of Arthur Scargill.

Whilst modernisation would not have been a bad thing perhaps the ways it was done was.
Maggie closed anything with a union during the 80`s. Hence way there is so little manufacturing in the UK.
I'm no fan of Maggie, but the fact that she did is one of the main reasons behind there being ANY manufacturing left in the UK. Do you think Nissan would have come to Sunderland for example if things had been left as they were? Your Mini would have been made in Munich instead of Cowley.

One surving thing was the railways, although little was spent on it. Private railways a good thing?
When were the railways most efficient? When they were private companies, back in the days of LNER, LMS, etc. Before the nationalisation and the creation of "British Rail".
By the time "British Rail" was established the rot had well and truly set in.
The demise of the railways however can be laid firmly at the door of Dr Beeching rather than the unions. I can't see the relevance to this discussion I'm afraid.

Are you saying that you'd rather merge every operator into one big airline for the whole of the UK subsidised by the taxpayer?

IF and only if in years to come what has happen in the last year or so it comes out that the 1980`s policys have help fuel the Global mess with Banker greed will you be blaming them?
Blaming whom? Sorry, I don't understand what you're getting at with this this bit.