PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing's final word/RR-Trents
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2009, 17:04
gone till november

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lomapaseo

The fact that the GE90 has not had a fan blade off yet or that it passed the test does not detract from the fact (to which i stand to be corrected) that the original blade off tests, it failed. GE was given a special dispensation to carry out a blade off test "not at the root". Im pretty sure it was documented in FI as i remember thinking at the time "that surely this cant be right" or fair.

Without factual data you only have personal speculation about flight safety between engines
ALL the BA engineers (that ive spoken to) that have worked on both engines (a position that BA is almost unique in terms of like for like power outputs) prefer the Trent. At the end of the day you have to trust their judgement and its their comments and opinions that I base my "factual data" on.

Im not saying that the GE90 is unsafe or unreliable but i know which engine i prefer to see attached to the wing. Maybe its for the above mentioned "data" but after a Tanquerray and tonic or two i start to not give a damm as i know that no airline is dumb enough to use "bad" engines.

But as the Rolls Royce advert about 25 years ago went (to the sight of an RB211 with a prominent 'RR', on a wing, seen through a passenger window) said. "Re-assuring, Isn't it". Very potent ad if you ask me. And yes i do like to see the double R on my engines.

Safe flying old bean