PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training for tests!
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2009, 15:32
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing to remember before having too much of a go at Fabbe is that he's 16 years old. Remember when you were sixteen? A year from now is a long time for him, ten years is a lifetime. Impatience is normal.

That's what I would say to you Fabbe and all you teenagers out there, two years time you'll be 18, in four years time you'll be 20, six years 22. That's 2013. By then you will still be very young. (Which is more than I can say for myself.)

There is no hurry to do anything, right now you may very well fail the tests. Which I suspect will devastate you as you seem quite exciteable. In a couple of years you will have matured a bit and be better placed to pass them. Take your time. These tests prove nothing. They are either a filter for some schools and airlines to pick people to fit in with their idea of what they want from a pilot.

The most honest comment I've seen on these tests is on the Qantas website for the cadet program. Typical straight talking Aussies.

The Cadet selection process is highly competitive, and failure to be selected does not necessarily mean that you do not have the potential to become a competent pilot and a successful direct entry applicant at some future date
The same is true of any airline.

Don't worry about missing opportunities. Opportunities are like buses, you miss one but there's alway another on the way.

If you want to do the test, do so by all means. But at your age they're pretty meaningless. You should concentrate on your education and developing yourself into a well rounded, sociable person. Because strangely enough, apart from the competencies. The one thing airline recruiters look for is a well balanced person who they would be comfortable sharing a flight deck with. If anything that is the clincher.

Right now you come across on the internet as a bit of pain and just a little arrogant. If you're like that in real life, that will hold you back. I have a feeling though that the real you is a bit different. Well as much as a teenager can be a normal person I remember, how bad I was as a teenager. People's internet persona can often be very different from their real one.

You have plenty of time. There is no rush or panic. A few years from now, you'll wonder what the fuss was about.