PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus II
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2009, 15:14
PC767

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Flintstone. Your post alludes to the fact that you are not part of BA and see matters from afar. You therefore have no real independant idea of BA politics nor the characters, union or management, who are involved. Should the tables ever be turned then I'm sure you would not wished your company or situation to be judged on propaganda or biased opinion.

So, thank you for taking the time to post and for making your observations known, but they are utterly irrelevant.

Can I also point out that the two local nights rule applies only to long range flights, not all long haul flights. And long range flights are often where, if this is really relevant, our flight crew colleagues have an additional nights rest down route. Beijing being an example. The inflexibility also kicks in after the duty exceeds 19hrs 15mins, which I'm sure most would agree is a long time. And of course that time is only officially until 30 mins after chocks away from base. During this disruption crew (flight and cabin) continued looking after passengers on the ground whilst arrangements and decisions were made.

A final point, for now, is that in all my time at Britannia Airways I never operated long haul with heavy crew. Granted we did not operate for 12hrs plus in the air but I operated many times to Florida, Mexico and Kenya for instance with juist two pilots. At BA a minimum of three are carried on the majority of these routes - not all - but the majority. If only two pilots then the pilots have an extra local night down route. My point, I'm happy for the flight crew and it really is neither none of my buisness nor bothers me. But if BA is really looking to work to the fundamental rules of the JAA, and to save money then when Walsh has finished with us he will not just stop and be satisfied. Cabin crew t&cs belong to cabin crew and flight crew t&cs belong to them.