PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Army officer arrested over military secrets leak
Old 6th Feb 2009, 14:55
brickhistory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BM (may I call you BM? ),

Did the officer have either the authorization to release the classified information or did he have the authority to make that determination?

If the answer is yes to either of the above, then he's got no worries, I would think.

If the answer is no, then I would think it's time for one of those ultimate "hat on, no coffee chats" y'all refer to them as with several court martial board members.

I'm not arguing the merits on overclassification, whether the material was embarrassing to the US or not, or any other side issue.

Was the information classified? Did the officer divulge it to someone not cleared to possess that information?

Central point I would think. I admit I am surprised by the number of posters in the military aircrew forum defending or rationalizing his alleged actions.

edited to add: Absolutely, it is up to whatever the British military legal procedure is to determine guilt or innocence and, if the former, severity of punishment.