PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON -3
Thread: MANSTON -3
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2009, 12:12
Jes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I reproduce detail from a local blog below. It gives a bit more information. It clearly is BAWC that wishes to move to Manston from Stansted.

It would be nice to have an acknowledgement from hounddog 1 and HZ123 that their grumpy responses to me publishing this news well in advance were unjustified, and showed a lack of awareness of what's happening within BAWC.

The only hurdle now is TDC: I think it'll be approved.

A "Major European Airline" (reported to be British Airways World Cargo) is the airline. has requested to be allowed 11 flights of 747s a week. The airline have asked to be able to operate between 11pm and 11.30pm and 6am and 7am meaning the current section 106 agreement governing flight times would need to be changed. The flights could start as early as May.

It is a major operator who wishes to move from another airport but will only do so if the operating hours match the current airport. The hours at that airport are 6 to 23.30 but in fact there are no flights at night at present. It involves 11 flights per week but the problem is 4 of them (per week) will be between 6am and 7am. However, they will operate preferential takeoff and landings when ever the wind speed allows so they are away from Ramsgate and the planes are all new 747s so they are the quietest / cleanest of the freight aircraft available.

The promised pay off is 57 direct jobs at the airport 54 jobs with the airline and approx 300 indirect jobs with people servicing the operation. Also it will create a network of international freight flights that will act as a platform to attract new business to the airport and its surroundings.

A recommendation is to be debated at a public meeting of the full Thanet Council, which takes place at Thanet Council’s main building in Cecil Square, Margate on Thursday, February 12 at 17:00.