PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which service would you go for?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2009, 11:00
NickGooseBrady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jumping ship back to civvy world when the economy picks up, or catching pension-itis and cashing in whatever integrity you have for the next rank.
Errrmmmm, from my limited experience (10 years service as an officer in the RN) you have just described 100% of my friends, colleagues and superiors. Are you really suggesting that post a certain point people continue to serve for reasons other then the pension or promotion? I guarantee you that if the economy was in better shape and the immediate pension was pulled then there would be very few older, more experienced types left in the forces. I am not suggesting that ones ideals or loyalty to ones flag or service diminishes as one gets older, just that priorities change and financial security takes on a greater emphasis.

For Future_Mil, I think you should bin your username, start again from scrath and just consider your outing into this mil forum as a few lessons learned. However, I see no difference in your attitude to a few guys I joined up with, now both flying harriers. They had never been in cadets, had never considered the military but then one day, after Uni, wondered into the careers office and 10 years later are flying harriers (obviously they nailed flying training too). Yes they have been on the "front line" but they get on with it with the professionalism of anyone trained to such a high standard. You do not need a gung-ho Queen and Country attitude to make it or do a good job. Just consider that in any of the Armed Services you are a Sailor/Airmen/Soldier first and a pilot second. Play the selection game well (and it is a game, as is basic training), choose your words wisely and you could get through selection and be a useful and productive member of the armed services just like anyone else. Best of luck.