PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ACARS Safety Issue?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2009, 08:28
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OK, here we go then, I'll say it:

I've seen the "Out" event cheated by cycling the parkbrake Off/On after all doors closed many times - and even for a while it was done at the behest of the Company.....but on all occasions it was done in coordination with the pushback crew, the aircraft was fully closed up, hydraulics pressurised and a pushback tug was attached. It was usually done to 'give' the station an ontime departure when ATC was delaying clearance to push. Just to be clear - once the "Out" event has been registered the park brake can and usually was reapplied, reapplying the parkbrake does not trigger a "return to stand" message.

OTOH I have never, ever, seen the "In" event being cheated - not sure there's any point since most Companies are only interested in publising the Ontime departures.

Frankly this is a bit of a non-issue - what's the source document for this "scare"? There have been aircraft rollback incidents on ramps, sure, but often as not they've been the consequence of incorrect ground handling practices e.g. towing without hydraulics pressurised, incorrect chock placement, or even forgetting the chocks. I've never ever heard of an unintentional rollback "caused" by ACARS, perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Last edited by wiggy; 6th Feb 2009 at 09:50.