PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier dispute between Navy and RAF chiefs sees Army 'marriage counsellor' called in
Old 5th Feb 2009, 22:20
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norman S.F & Finnpog,

Cannot agree more.

I personally saw the reasons why the Harrier 2 / now GR9 doesn't have a gun; a semi- political move to fit a trendier 25mm 'improved' Aden cannon.

Just by coincidence, BAe had recently taken over Royal Ordnance, who were big on talk, but results proved different - I photographed the thing blowing itself to bits long before any shell might meet an enemy - mind you, the hail of shrapnel from the disintegrating gun may well have put one attacker off !

I'm personally sure an original 30mm Aden could have been fitted, or the USMC GAU-12 gatling with gun the one side, ammo' the other - but that would have meant - gasp - admitting to a mistake !

The gunpod positions are used for medium altitude targetting systems now, which are reportedly very good; however I can't help thinking ( I've not been there ) that a powerful strafing a la A-10 with modern avionics & guidance systems would cheer up the troops no end !