PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which service would you go for?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2009, 20:12
future_mil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which service would you go for?

Evening all, just wanted to put this out there for your thoughts. With everything that's happening with the economy at the moment there seems to be little work in civvy st. so I'm going to go for the military. Been looking for years and it's time to bite the bullet I reckon. I'm JAA CPL/IR qualified on helis, types A109 and B206, got all the qualifications, fitness etc needed for all three services apart from possibly the RAF where at 23 I understand I'm now too old also passed the flying aptitude tests at Cranwell a few years ago so I'm OK there. Anyway, any of you who've served or are serving in the Navy or Army, what're your thoughts on the work, conditions, the flying hours you get, management, etc? Did you make the right choice of service? I'd be especially interested to hear the pros and cons of Army officer vs. NCO route. I've no massive desire to be an officer to be honest but if that's the best way into mil aviation so be it. Do NCOs or officers get more flight time than the other - do one group tend to continue in their jobs longer than the other? I appreciate that I'd have to work in a different role for a period as an Army NCO before applying as a pilot, but thinking seriously about a full mil career I'm more concerned about the long term than short.
Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated. After chatting to various people in various AFCOs and units you start to go round in circles. Cheers!