PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON -3
Thread: MANSTON -3
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2009, 13:12
HZ123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I admire the loyalty of some of the threaders toward KIA. At BA the reason for the support of a third runway will see our entire operations at LHR. This goal is a priority to reduce costs and secure/ enforce our monopoly. I believe that BA will further reduce LGW services by ceasing operations to many EU destinations thus freeing up a lot more slots / space.

The describtion of MSE / LCY for the passenger can be experienced at LGW today and may continue for a couple of years, likewise STN is far from busy. It is very difficult to start a new pax operation as the cash write off is often about 12 - 18months of the projected earnings. This is far more bearable at an airport already operated from.

While this current climate continues you will see little or no growth at any airports, pax airlines cannot afford to base / operate from new regional airports, it is difficult enough from the base airports to make money. The many passengers that EUjet had were not enough.

Like most of you I hope these trying times are over as quickly as possible. Even then though airlines will be very cautious in starting new operations from regional airports.