PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety Worries
Thread: Safety Worries
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2009, 08:25
yawningdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't buy an aircraft at all unless you are flying hundreds of hours per year. I suggest using a scheme like Cumulus Rentals where you are given your own personal key to a new or almost new Cirrus:

- No maintenance responsibilities
- No overheads
- No depreciation
- No club sign-offs for flights
- Nice clean fast plane

Its just like owning a plane without the hassle. Keep you big money in your pocket, not down the drain.

In my opinion the Cirrus is as safe as you can get. In addition to BRS (it amazes me when people talk down parachutes, crazy), the glass cockpit systems are easy to use, you'll never get lost, and the aircraft can be fully automated which massively reduces workload. A great IFR aircraft.

But as previously mentioned, the aircraft won't be the cause of a crash, YOU WILL. Its all about currency, attitude, and training. I don't feel comfortable unless I do at least 50hrs per year. Although I have taken my kid flying a few times, I don't feel comfortable taking him from a moral perspective, he isn't old enough to make the choice and would not be able to get out on his own in the case of an accident.