PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Holy Grail?
Thread: The Holy Grail?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2009, 21:01
'India-Mike

Holy grail? I consider myself very luck to have had two of the very best. I finished last year after a year and a half part-time. I had two instructors, and two aeroplanes.

Stuart Hill at Prestwick Flying Club did 60% of my course on the de Havilland Chipmunk. A true professional in every sense of the word - years of experience and a committed light aeroplane man. His course is highly personal, friendly yet professional. Stuart's course is part-time. The Chipmunk is f*&^ing expensive but really makes you think about what you're doing (you can't point/touch from the rear cockpit!) It's also baltic in the back seat during most of the Scottish year.

Lovat Fraser at Tayside Aviation did the other 40% - I needed to finish full-time due to pressures in my 'proper' job. Again, a committed light aeroplane man, and again a true professional. Very similar to Stuart but the Tayside course differs in emphasis in places (Stuart does nav, Lovat doesn't), and techniques (the Tayside course uses a checklist, Stuart's very keen that the checklist is in your head!); Stuart uses CSA from low key in PFL's, Tayside closing the throttle on base. Both men are however very open to discussing alternative techniques and methods.

I used the Grob Heron for the final part - a lovely aeroplane, in some respects better than the Tutor. It scores over the Chippie in having a heater too. A superb confidence-builder for spinning as well.

Stuart's busy I know with FIC part-time at the mo but you could try contacting him via the Club. I've heard from Lovat that he's fully-booked until August!

They seem to be your choices in Scotland at the moment - both will deliver nothing other than an outstanding, satisfying and thoroughly enjoyable course. I have to say as a professional engineer who's done BSc, PhD, ATPL's and the CPL - the FIC is easily the hardest yet most satisfying piece of training/education that I've ever, ever done.