PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 - Question about firm landing
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2009, 19:59
dwshimoda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That "funny language" is an essential part of how we calculate the speed that we fly various configurations of the approach at - including the final speed for touch down.

I'll be more than happy for you never to fly on one of my flights. I'm the first to admit when I've made a firmer than normal landing (aside from the fact the CC wont let you forget it for a while! But also, they are sometimes when you just have to put the aircraft down. No doubt you prefer a looong floated greaser of a landing - let me tell you - that way serious trouble can lie.

why when I have flown this flight before, did it feel (and appear) that the plane was coming in too fast. I am not stupid so I know I can't tell the speed of the plane without the device that measures speed.
Your basing it being too fast on what exactly? You had the latest wind speeds and landing weight did you? Were these factors exactly the same as last time you did that exact same flight, to that exact same runway?

I reiterate - it is you who is rude coming on here and accusing a professional pilot (and an entire company in your original sweeping statement) of bad landings.

They do happen, and most of us will admit it, be we don't need it alleged by people with no knowledgeable basis.

What is it you do for a living? Perhaps I could make some sweeping, and possibly grossly incorrect, statements about how you are performing?

Don't fly the B738, so can't answer your "technical" question about what the gear can and can't take. But bear in mind it is replaced after a set amount fo years / cycles, and each landing is very different. Having been involved in some "thumpers" (No - not all mine) and seeing what is recorded on the g recorder, you would be amazed at what they can take before they need a check.