PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2009, 17:10
airfoilmod

Flight Safety

With respect, I would point out that ditching is a Pilot issue, Cold Fuel chemistry an engineering one. I have the belief that as a group, pilot's have a superior level of Intelligence and practical experience in their field relative to other less demanding pursuits, for very good reason. However, though a pilot may have a fine knowledge of engineering, it isn't a prerequisite for the certificate.

I have a keen interest in Fuel, my life, passengers and freight depend on quality; this quality is expected, and rightly so. I remain surprised at the less than emphatic response to a Chemical, Engineering, Production, and Quality "vacuum of knowledge".

Training and recurrent training emphasize failure, response, innovation, memory, and solution. Well enough two engines fail on a twin, an ETOPS a/c; on top of a rigorous solution and implementation, the consumers of a life dependent product must be patronised with "the great unknown"?

I don't necessarily believe FAA is doing anything unusual here, but when products are found to be life-threatening, generally the appropriate agency appears to act in a more immediate and appropriate time frame.