PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 19th Apr 2002, 00:58
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes RW-1, the 180 autos were great fun, especially as the instructor kept telling me how good I was - well, you always like that don't you. Anyway, where was I...

Mon 15th April
Up at 4.30 am (groan). Unfortunately I get over jet lag fast, so this feels like the middle of the night. Carlos is already up; he starts work early. He's also made a pot of coffee - this lookks like a good place to stay. At 5.30 I drive the six miles to Van Nuys airport to meet Philippe, as traffic watch starts at 6 am. It's pouring with rain and cold - what happened to sunny southern California. But we fly around at about 500 ft below the clouds, with me trying to get used to the B206 and following freeways - but LA looks like a massive sea of concrete in all directions and I can't distinguish anything. The rain after lots of dry wx has made the roads slippery and there are heaps of accidents on the freeways - mildly exciting if you like that sort of thing. Then we go to a rather good French bakery for a second breakfast, then two hours ground school. Back again at 4pm for more flying; this time the wx is better, but LA still looks like a sea of buildings for 60 miles in all directions.

Tues 16th April
Same as Monday, but wx better, and I'm getting used to the B206. In between looking for traffic snarl-ups, we go to a couple of practice areas and i get to do circuits and hovering. I find it hard; the B206 doesn't like being treated like a R22, or even a R44; it's very different. Philippe is a good instructor, but at $120 an hour I wouldn't complain if he wasn't, and I'm having a lot of fun. In the afternoon we fly along the coast, including the shoreline transition at 150 ft. We also fly right between the buildings downtown, wow! I like being in a country with no 500 ft rule.

Wed 17th April
Same as Tuesday, but light dawns!!!. I've been studying the helicopter route chart all week, but suddenly - I can recognise freeways! Eureka!!! LA doesn't look like a sea of concrete - it has areas, and mountains, and downtown to help you orientate yourself. We've been flying some routes everyday, and now I can say: is it south down the 405 and east on the 10 again, and similar, and know where to go. We've also done fun things like fly over Beverley Hills and famous people's homes - Philippe, you have control, I wanna photo. And more circuits, hovering, etc when time, and I really like this helicopter - I want one!!! Any millionaires out there want to marry me and buy me a helicopter? In the few hours I have off I even manage to go sightseeing - drive through Topanga Canyon to the coast, look at the beach, go shopping in Santa Monica. This was a Bad Idea, with 5 hours flying a day plus groundschool, as I end up completely exhausted and go to bed about 8 pm.

Thur 18th April
More of same, but that's not a complaint; this is fun. In the afternoon we manage to fly over the mountiains to the north of LA and do some interesting flying there. And having been through the whole B206 book, I get to do the A check, which takes ages. Tomorrow should be the last day, then it's back to Long Beach on Saturday.

Right, that's up to date so far. More when I've time.