PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rugby World Cup
Thread: Rugby World Cup
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2002, 22:29
Sqwark2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

WHOA there Tigers, easy on the NZ public!!!!

The NZ public were not party to any of the NZRFU meetings or decsion making policy regarding the RWC.

From what's reported here, they did drop the ball in the own in goal area but initially they were trying to avoid some of the ridiculous requirements set by the RWC/IRB. The most idiotic one was the advertisement free zone within 500m of the ground. Not sure wether other countries have 500m of carparks surrounding the grounds but in NZ most/if not all international stadiums are located in the central city area with residential / commercial businesses just across the road. Eden Park for example has Dominion & Sandringham Road's running either side of it well within the 500m zone, so how would you expect the NZRFU to convince dairy owners, banks, Sports stores etc to go clean, for 2 weeks!!!

Now admittadly they could have achieved what they say they have achieved now, prior to the deadline and saved some international embarrassment, which I'd say all NZ rugger fans are feeling some of at the moment, but still there are two sides to the story and I don't think the NZRFU was 100% the villian.

As for using the RWC as a protest platform for what Air NZ did to Ansett, you've GOT TO BE KIDDING. That airline was rooted before we stupidly bought it and would have wheels up on it's own anyway, then you'd blaming some ocker of your own. Don't give me or any other NZ'er crap about us ruining Ansett. BOLLOCKS!!! The only thing we did wrong was buy it the first place.

Anyways, good luck to OZ for hosting the RWC, I'll still be watching the event, albeit a little jealous for not being able to see a game in the flesh, but please do not compare running a bust airline with hosting a major World Sporting event.

S2K