PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The flight test book review thread
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2009, 00:08
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
A posting on this excellent thread is overdue, so I shall begin...

I have just finished reading: Back to the Drawing Board, Aircraft Which Flew, But Never Tookoff, by: Bill Gunston. ISBN 0-7603-0316-9

I just purchased it as a used book, from the Museum of Aviation in Ottawa, but I am certain it was the only copy there, and not in their normal stock. It was suspiciously low priced at $10, worth much more!

I have very much enjoyed it, and recommend it.

It provides brief descriptions of the characteristics of about 90 types of fixed and rotor wing aircraft, from all eras and nations. There are detailed insights as the reasons why the particular aircraft was not a success in it's intended application. In many cases, the failing was design related, and revealed during initial testing. The author's description of some of the simple characteristics which were inadequate, is helpful in furthering the understanding of aircraft and cockpit design. An example of this is a reference to a particular aircraft being difficult to fly, because certain secondary cockpit controls were located on the wrong side, so crossing hands on the controls was necessary, at the least opportune phases of flight. Anyone involved in design and testing would surely appreciate this random insights.

Thanks for the thread Genghis, it's a great idea! I'll have more entries in the times to come...

Pilot DAR