PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the 747-8X finally killed ?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2009, 22:07
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.. not to mention the prospect of newer VLAs being developed

Its not a matter of underestimating the market or not having the mental capacity to imagine that such a large plane could be successful, but rather one of bad timing.......

Then again, post-recession we could see a huge number of orders, but I think the airlines will cling onto their cash desperately for some time.

As for the 748, it'll most likely happen, in both forms. Boeing have already sourced most of the funding and the freighter sales have just about justified its existence. Will we see more 748i sales? probably not
Sam, do you seriously think any company an develop a newer VLA in the next 20 years? The A380 has swept the market!

Those airlines you talk about have to have the equipment in place to take advantage of the upturn, when it comes. No point in hanging onto cash when there are hordes of people wanting to fly.

LH is the only passenger orderer of the 748. A hundred or so cargo sales.....but....er cargo has suddenly collapsed. Cargo planes are being re-assigned and grounded. I think you will find those orders will be renegotiated or cancelled. The 747-400 makes a fine cargo conversion- all those cheap retired ex-passenger ones will fill the cargo market. My guess is the 748 is unlikely to find a market other than.....Air Force One!