PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training for tests!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2009, 15:42
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what flying school you are applying to but frankly most of them are simply there for show, to give the impression that their product is only for the very best. In effect it's marketing hype. In that situation you will pass easily unless you are complete twit. What happens then is that you are told you have passed, now sign here and hand over the money.

Now some flying schools do take these tests seriously, but again you have to remember it's for their benefit not yours. They use them to screen out potential failures or people who might take longer to train, because they want to maintain their pass rates. This is important to them in order to maintain their reputation as a 'good' school. Which helps with future students and airlines looking for a training partner. This is particularly true of certain integrated schools with 'First Officer type training courses'.

It's all smoke and mirrors and salesmanship.

So Fabbe, don't worry about the test, you'll probably pass easily. If you don't either try again or find another school. These tests are mostly of no consequence. If you 'fail' it doesn't mean you'll never be a pilot. Don't worry too much about it.

As for airlines, some do as well. I know Aer Lingus even test experienced Captains. It's crazy but there you are.

Just imagine the scene, a tearful Captain being handed a tissue. 'I'm sorry Captain you haven't met the high standard we expect here in Aer Lingus but I'm sure an ex Concorde Captain like you can find work somewhere. Have you tried Ryanair? They'll take anyone.'