PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Licence Fraud
Thread: Licence Fraud
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2009, 10:56
hughesyd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is an interesting thread of which there is a element of truth to what is being said. I for one have spent a lot of time training in Spain and would generally defend the quality and proffesionalism of some flight schools, but it can just take one to ruin the reputation for all.

So the answer here is Dont judge every FTO on the basis of a bad experience at one, meaning dont judge Spain as a whole.

Long story short, i was booked onto a CPL course at a FTO in Spain. When i enquired 2 days before the course was to start, whether i had to wear uniform for the CPL skills test, i was told on good authority by one of the top guys at the FTO (so there was no misundertanding ) that not to worry, there wasnt really a skills test and that just completing the course was rated as a pass by the spanish authoritys. I had heard before that the owner of the school was well connected with some of the examiners and there maybe something going on.

Now i could have carried on with the course knowing full well that i was going to pass anyway, very tempting!!, but it would have been completely unethical and wanting to pass on my own merits, i cancelled the course.

To put it mildly, i was shocked that this could happen. I looked at the possibility of reporting what had happened to the relevant authority, but proving it would have been impossible. So in a nutshell. this sort of thing does happen, but i will stress once again that i have also had some fantastic training at some FTOs in Spain and one shouldnt generalise.

Do your homework at any FTO you are looking at training with and remember, it can be tempting if ever you hear a ftos standards are below par just to get decent pass rates, but you are selling yourself short and not going to be the best pilot you could be. I imagine some have gained employment and havent been fully up to scratch in the past, but im sure they were at least competant and capable of what went on in the sim test, after all its down to personal development . Hughesyd