PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 18th Apr 2002, 17:59
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Three Weeks Flying in California

Hi friends. I've now been in the LA area just over a week, and thought I'd post this for anyone else from Europe who's thinking of doing the same thing, or for anyone who's just interested. I'll do it in stages, when I have time, and if anyone wants to ask me anything, I'll answer it when I have time and Internet access.

Since I had a JAR CPL(H) and 200 hours, and wanted another 100 in order to do an instructors' course, my plan was to get the hours and as much different flying experience as possible on a couple of different trips overseas, as and when I could afford it. Having had my fingers burned instruction-wise in the UK, I try not to go anywhere now without at least one recommendation. In December I started asking around, and several people recommended Kevin Eastman of Rotor Aviation, based at Long Beach, CA. After several phone calls and e-mails, I'd arranged to do the R44 transition (conversion in UK-speak), the B206 transition and some cheap hour building with one of the traffic watch guys, and some R22 fun flying. I may want a job, but I fly helis mainly for FUN. the problem is, it's expensive fun, and long term I'll need to be paid to continue. OK, here's the story so far:

Wed 10th April.
Flew to LAX. Kevin had offered to pick me up, and was an hour late due to traffic in LA. We eventually found each other, and he drove me to Irene's house in Orange County, about 6 miles from LGB. I was staying there for $11 a night (it's gone up to $15 now). Kevin had given me a choice of accommodation, but I prefer to spend my money on flying.

Thur 11th April
Kevin picked me up and took me to LGB for a tour of Airflite, where he has an office - huge fancy building with lots of facilities. I'm impressed, but daunted by the sheer size of everything - I'm used to little grass airfields, help!!! He arranges a hire car and I manage to negotiate the LA traffic (this is my first time here) to the FSDO office to get a US temporary licence. I've brought my PPL(A) too, and get one to cover me for both - really straightforward. I drive back to Irene's, getting lost (first time of many).

Fri 12th April
I'd arranged to start off with the R44 transition, hoping to learn about US airspace, radio use etc, as we go along. I realise early on it's more complicated than that - very very different over here. But we manage two hours flying and a couple of hours groundschool. It goes OK, but jet lag is beginning to hit, LGB circuits, approaches etc, look horrendous, and I wonder if I'll ever dare fly solo here - I feel like a complete beginner!!!

Sat 13th April
Finish R44 transition, which is nice. Since I intend to fly in the UK, the only real reason to do it was to learn to fly the R44; I don't need the paperwork. But why not do it properly. In the UK, with a CPL, you only need whatever it takes to get it added to your licence, so hopefully just an hour or so when I get back. I'm even more tired and scared, so ask if I can do some dual on Sunday, learning how to get in and out of this terrifying huge airport.

Sun 14th April
Weather is crap, but we can fly locally if I'm with an instructor - they call it Special VFR here. For the US people, in the UK SVFR is somewhat different. Anyway, no point in leaving the airfield into the fog, so I get used to LGB circuits - tight turns round buildings and finding tiny helispots between two active runways - it begins to be fun. Then we do 180 autos from 500 ft and other fun things you rarely do in the UK. Maybe I like it here after all. Jet lag beginning to go. In the afternoon I drive 50 miles on the freeway (help!!) to Van Nuys, in the San Fernando Valley, where I'll be staying with a friend of Philippe, the B206 traffic watch guy. He's also an instructor, which is why I'm flying with him and not Commander Chuck, as that way the CAA can hardly query the hours, I hope. I meet Philippe, and get introduced to Carlos, where I'm staying (and this is his computer).

Right, next instalment later; I have groundschool and flying.