PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving a diverted flight
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2009, 08:52
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shack, read again
If you had your baggage and were being transported on by other means, then they would be glad to have you voluntarily off their hands (BUT, see below). However, if passengers were staying onboard, bags not offloaded, and they were hoping to get airborne to transport everyone to the original destination, then you will have trouble getting off.
I have been involved in several situations when passengers have demanded to get off. I'm afraid the 'egotistical headmaster' act is the only one to pull! The Italians could not speak English. They were at their final destination! Why could they not get off? We were left to hold them on board, physically. They had to carry on to London and transfer and fly back to Rome. Not our fault. Condsider a diversion in a full 737 of skiers wearing their hot jackets- handling agent unable to handle to 4 hours. We had people demanding their 'right' to disembark- 'you can't detain me!' and other rubbish like that. The answer was 'we have no stairs- good luck with the jump. We will tell the authorities and the French Police will detain you, and they beat people up for fun'. I explain as well as I can, but every flight has one self appointed 'lawyer' knowing his rights, someone who knows the chairman of the airline and will 'drop you in it', many enraged people who apparently suffer misery every time they fly, and several crying cases of human misery.....for a 3 hour delay. Sometimes you have to be sharp back. I find the egotistical headmaster guise is the best for putting across the information plainly and clearly with 'this its the limitation of what you can do under this situation- don't push it'. And another thing I have learned in aviation- never apologise if it ain't your fault, because then you have admitted you are to blame. It stands you in good stead!