PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is MPL finally taking off? (now with job guarantee?)
Old 3rd Feb 2009, 08:14
SMJP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tbavprof,:
After completing, at your own expense, the additional flying required for a CPL/IR. And then, there's the little matter of implementation again
Is there a good reason for gaining CPL/IR after the MPL? Unless you want to get back flying around in piston aircraft. Again the idea of MPL is major aviation not general aviation.

You'll still have to comply with the ATP requirements for the upgrade. While 1400 of those hours may be spent in the RHS of big iron, where are those 500 hours XC PIC, etc. coming from? How many varied definitions of implementation for "PIC under supervision" will be found around the world and in the various operators?
500 hours XC PIC? Please go through JAR-FCL 1.280 and make sure you have the right amendment included. The requirements are stated very clearly. The exact definition of PICUS is also stated.
So as aviatiorisu says
Actually this is not correct. You will have the same opportunity to upgrade as everyone else
Undoubtedly the high sim time on specific equipment makes for highly proficient aircraft operators
you bet. and that's exactly what MPL is all about. It's not a licence for GA.

But does a 1600 TT flight crew (1500 LHS + 100 RHS) really have enough aviation experience?
Compared to?

Are you saying CPL/IR's and frozen ATPL's perform below the LOFT standards? Have you met any fATPL's and CPL/IR's that perform well-above the standard? If you're saying that MPL candidates are superior overall, what's your basis for comparison? MPL v 250hr fATPL? MPL v 2500 hr CPL/IR
No, i'm not saying CPL/IR's perform below standards. I'm saying that all MPL cadets i came through performed above standard. And off course a lot of CPL/IR's perform above standard as well. I compare two cadets who just finished an integrated flighttraining and got a type-rating (so about 350 TT). Nothing more, nothing less.

And what about washout rates? A fair number of those that made the selection under those old programs got the boot, and never actually finished....
You're right. And to my idea that's one of the advantages of MPL. You NEED a JAR-OPS 1-operator upfront to even think about starting. I would say that this licence has lower finacial risks for the cadets and to be honest i've seen students go through alot of unnecessary sh*t to gain that RHS and to me that's not fair at all because the only ones profitting are the malafide fto's.
And there are still some disadvantages in MPL (as in everything) but that's why it's so important to implement it right.

Last edited by SMJP; 3rd Feb 2009 at 08:17. Reason: Grammar