PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worth Doing an Instructor Rating during Credit Crunch???
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 18:18
Mile High Nutcase

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with WWW, there is absolutely no way any flight school will offer you a gauranteed job before comitting to FI Course. I suppose its a matter of luck and timing similar to airline jobs. If you're in the right place in the right time you'll get a job once you have the FI Rating.

I think people people are disregarding the fact that Instructors don't only teach PPL's, especially part timers. Most of their flying hours are actually Trial lessons and AOC charter flights i.e scenic flights etc. With the spring approaching (best time to fly), many people are going to be making the most of their weekends. Granted the economy is not great and will not be for the next few years, but the only people to suffer in these uncertain times are people made redundant, or have seen a great decrease in their income (and also most of us pilots / wannabees). those that are fortunate enough to keep their jobs will probably have a bit of extra cash to spend (due to the lowering interest rates) and its these people who will spend their weekends in flying clubs for trial lessons whether or not they commit to a ppl. Would anybody agree with these thoughts??

Personally, I cannot commit to full time instructors job yet because the pay would not be enough for me to survive. I would only do it Part time during this year and then see if i can afford to go full time later.

A couple of days ago i was leaning towards ''FIC is a wise decision''. Today i'm back to 50/50 taking into account MagicMick and WWW's comments.

Appreciate all your comments so far people. keep them coming.

regards
MHN