PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - clean install XP
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 18:13
graham england

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi chaps,

When I use windows explorer disk D shows as 149GB capacity with 24Gb used. When I go to computer management, storage, disk management the disk 0 is disk C, is the primary partition and its type is basic. disk 1 is disk D, it is a simple volume with the type as dynamic - I'm thinking thats why it shows as 2 sections, with 1 roughly the same size as the used part of the disk. Seems to work ok though! Wish I knew what I was talking about.

I have a cd for XP pro but it is only for a clean install and anyway I'd like the feel of a new pc without spending the money, even if it only lasts a few weeks, lol.

I'm about to take a look in the case and make sure I can repair/replace the psu (fan) without too much agro.

Then I'm going to check I can partition the newer HDD but still disable the other partitions on the BIOS during installation.

Do a final check that everythings backed up then a new partion on the newer drive - to receive the xp install. Then swap the hardware in the box to change the primary and start loading the disks. Easy peasy. Anyone see any pitfalls?

If all goes well I may invest in a new HDD as back up and convert the older HDD to an external drive and maybe add another GB of RAM. Fingers crossed next big change will then be a couple of years away and Win7 will be all sorted ready for me.