PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa starts work on Starliner restoration
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 18:03
kala87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations to all involved in the project to get this this magnificent aircraft back in the air.

The Connie was always my favourite aircraft and the Starliner was the best-looking of the line. I remember seeing the Lufthansa L1649A's in service. In about 1960 I saw one at Athens when we landed there, and another at Khartoum in the same year. Presumably the aircraft were operating FRA-JNB.

I also remember these aircraft overflying our home (near the BPK VOR) at around 12000-16000ft in the early 1960's, presumably en-route from FRA to IDL. The muffled growl of the R3350's in cruise flight, same as for the DC7 and Super Connie, was a memorable sound; it seemed to reverberate to my very bones.

Can't wait to see the big bird back in the air again. Yes, I agree with previous postings re-the lack of interest by airlines in the UK in preserving classic airliners, with the notable exception of Air Antique in Coventry.