PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worth Doing an Instructor Rating during Credit Crunch???
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 17:32
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 181 Likes on 69 Posts
Thanks for that MagicMick.

I think it unlikely that anyone will ever get an offer of a job before doing the course.

I did the FIC in 1998. I tried to get tentative offers before throwing away my office job to attend the FIC. At that point I had been a volunteer gliding instructor for several years and had taught around 30 16yr olds to fly Grob109b motorgliders. I was also working as a Training & Development Officer in industry and was actually teaching people how to conduct workplace training. I had glowing references from my VGS and UAS Commanding Officers and had nearly 500hrs total time with experience of taildraggers and aerobatic aircraft. The economy was really starting to boom with that nice Mr Blair in charge and house prices starting to rise and rise.

And I couldn't anything more than a non-committal offer to read my CV once I had the FI ticket in my hand.

Not even from the school down the road where I'd done my PPL and hour building who were busy and always needed new Instructors as the summer progressed.

It just doesn't happen. If there was a biting shortage of FI's and queues of people wanting PPL courses it might happen in theory. But now - no chance.