PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WORLD AVIATION MUSEUMS - Mod post 16/05
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 16:18
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tangmere

Not that small ! More like 2-3 days than hours to see everything ( even then you couldn't take it all in - maybe you visited a while ago ).

Exhibits include - outside; Meteor, T-33, Sea Harrier FA2, Sea Vixen, Phantom; soon a Vampire T-11 possibly in running condition.

Inside; Neville Duke's world speed record afterburning Hunter, the earlier world speed record Meteor, Swift, Lightning, Hunter F6, a Hunter F4 cockpit to sit in, perfect replicas of the prototype Spitfire K5054 with R.J.Mitchell artefacts & spare hoods & slipper tanks etc, ditto replica Spitfire 5C, & Hurricane.

3 simulators, one flying a Hurricane in the Battle of Britain, the other 2 offering various aircraft & degrees of difficulty, from a Chipmunk already lined up to land at Tangmere, to flying a Hunter through Tower Bridge ( it was done for real ), a demo' simulator to try following German guidance beams versus the Brit' countermeasures, a display of the significant American input ( + Luftwaffe ! ) Cold War nuclear control bunker demo, the recovered Hurricane of Dennis Noble's as mentioned, a real household shelter, an original airfield air raid shelter open to visit, various engine displays, a pop-up pill box under restoration to working order, an original Ferret armoured car ( now restored 'as new' & running, simply left when the RAF pulled out ! ), a comprehensive library to visit, and a lot more.

For a panoramic view google 'Tangmere Military Aviation Museum' - I'll try to get some decent photo's to put up here.

I'm a volunteer there, and I'm constantly finding 'new' artefacts !

For satnav', the postcode is PO20 2ES, Tel. 01243 790090 - best to call first in very bad weather.

Last edited by Double Zero; 4th Feb 2009 at 00:41.