PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA Flight 93 cockpit recording
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2002, 10:51
stagger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Raas767

I can't believe what I am reading here! Airline pilots actually advocating the publics right to listen to aircrew performing thier duties just prior to death! Unbelievable!
As I wrote before this case is very unusual - it's not about the public's right to listen to "aircrew performing thier duties just prior to death." It seems likely that final minutes of the tape contain the voices of, not the aircrew, but the hijackers who had taken control of the aircraft and perhaps also the voices of the passengers who tried to regain control from them. It's a unique situation.

If it is to be used in the prosecution of Zacarias Moussaoui then it may very well have to enter the public domain in the courtroom. The hijackers may very well say things that could be used to establish that he was indeed a co-conspirator.

This is not a case of the CVR tape being used to discipline or prosecute aircrew so I don't think its use in open court would set a dangerous precedent.
The reason for CVR and FDR is for accident investigation. PERIOD.
I know this is unlikely but what if the CVR in this case was absolutely crucial for the succesful prosecution of Moussaoui?

Last edited by stagger; 18th Apr 2002 at 11:03.