PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Both runways at Heathrow closed
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 09:54
Thunderbug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys ........... relax

They have been doing quite well at LHR despite the conditions. Yesterday afternoon at about 3pm, they closed each runway in turn to put down a anti-ice cover. That kept the runways operational through out the evening. Arrived back at about 2130 with runways still very much operational and the taxiways & aprons just becoming a bit slippery. The drive home was not fun though. Most roads completely untreated or cleared. People driving like idiots. Accidents everywhere.

I'm 20 miles south of LHR and overnight we've had a foot of snow. These are tough conditions (the worst for 18 years apparently). That Cyprus air didn't just fall off the runway. As others have stated the runways are now operational again now - well done to all involved. I was in MXP (milan) last month and they closed the airport for 3hrs due snow - I can't remember anybody on PPRuNe kicking off about that then.

The main reason for the cancellations seems to be the inability of staff to get to work. The roads are still lethal. The authorities are not ploughing - just gritting and turning it to slush.

Take Care
T'Bug