PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is MPL finally taking off? (now with job guarantee?)
Old 2nd Feb 2009, 08:54
tbavprof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Questions Than Answers

SMTP
MPL as a name is new (2006) but as a concept it's nothing new. Look at FTO's like KLM, Lufthansa etc..so not only those from Sterling.
Or the various militaries...and there's still a reduction in actual flight hours between MPL and those airline FTO's old programs.

Yes, i do have an interest in MPL training. Because as i said earlier: Quote:
i've experienced that MPL cadets perform well above standard during the line-training
Are you saying CPL/IR's and frozen ATPL's perform below the LOFT standards? Have you met any fATPL's and CPL/IR's that perform well-above the standard? If you're saying that MPL candidates are superior overall, what's your basis for comparison? MPL v 250hr fATPL? MPL v 2500 hr CPL/IR?

The MPL is Competency based and very effective if implemented right. But it definitely has a downside because of the lack of knowledge (about the subject) or greed (by organisations who just want to earn money).
Some excellent points about the program. But the devil is in the details, and its being implemented in many places without any of the controls that were incorporated in the programs that spawned the idea.

While there's a selection process, is it honestly as rigorous as a military UPT or the old national carrier selection processes? Or has the bar been set lower to accomodate the larger numbers of crew members required?

And what about washout rates? A fair number of those that made the selection under those old programs got the boot, and never actually finished. Don't have any firm data (and the private FTO's marketing departments probably won't want to make it available), but I suspect that FTO's and even sponsored FTO programs may not be as quick to say good-bye to their revenue streams.