PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheeltug - the novel answer to marginal airline profitability
Old 1st Feb 2009, 22:26
repariit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“Last time I checked, PPRuNe was an aviation forum so why the discussion of hybrid technologies for cars?”

The WheelTug subject is an innovation that purports to increase operational efficiency. We can’t yet know if it will work or not. The technology that needs to be proven is whether the extremely high energy density of this Chorus motor will work at all. It may be that the auto industry puts it to use before it makes it through the rigors of the aircraft certification process. How it does in that venue may well have at least partial significance to airborne application.

Some have also objected to the apparent “promotion” of this product by one who has apparently invested in its development. I think it is of value to take in all available information. Efficiencies gained through such innovations are critical to survival in this industry.

I first got involved in 1964. Most of the airlines that were operating at that time do not exist today. The many that are gone were less efficient than their competitors during a some past period of economic stress and had to capitulate, and failed to live to participate in the following upswing. Delta has invested in the development of this technology precisely because they believe that it will make them more efficient.

We should all have an interest in being a part of an efficient operation that will survive the current economic stress. It does not cost us anything to process the facts, and they may help to know where things are going.