PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Watch out for fatigue this summer
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2002, 06:48
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If CAP 371 is mis used it is not much protection.

I,v never worked outside the limits of CAP 371 but if rostered for an early followed by a late (all leagal under the rules ) how do you make a sleep patern work ?

The favorate trick of one employer was to roster two long night dutys followed by a very short duty that finnished before 2200L then one more long night with a four hour position back to base ,
in practical terms after the "short" night you would wake up at about 1000L and then be unable to get back to sleep before the duty started at 2200L the duty was rosterd for ten hours then with four hours positioning and an hours drive home it made for a very long time on your feet before you could get "real"sleep.

I think that Mowgli makes a very valid point and I to can see how this may well be a problem over the summer , but at least I have the consolation that I will only be exposed to the over work and resultant fatigue for three months and come the winter I will have time to recover.
The people I think are in the worst danger are the ones who work a little less than us in the peaks of the charter business but do it all year round.

I took a large pay drop when I left a command with a night cargo company to fly as FO with a "day time" airline as I could see the damage that disrupted rosters ,long times positioning after duty and trying to sleep in the day in hotels was having on me.

I dont think that I was about to have a flying accident but the rumble strips on the edge of the motorway saved me more than once and my heath was starting to suffer.