PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA and the DC-9
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2009, 12:20
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My God, Centaurus, were you an old style DCA Gruppeninspektor in a previous life? Talk about a wet, smelly three day old fish in our collective face...

I doubt there'd be many here who'd find your post "in the spirit" of this excellent, nostalgic thread of a time before political correctness had even been invented.

------------------

One of the results of the DC9 being allowed to operate with two crew in Oz were the (I thought then and still think) wonderful Route Data Cards issued to DC9 crews in both companies.

They (DCA) thought the -9 was far too slick for a two man crew to be pulling out enroute charts to search for tracks and navaid frequencies, (and on my first few CB-SY sectors, I think I would have agreed with them!!!). So they made the RDCs mandatory for the -9 - and the 727 and F27 crews were very happy to use them as well!

----------------

One of my many fond memories of the -9 was taking off out of Canberra one evening bound for Adelaide. We got airborne about ten minutes after sunset - and the aircraft's rate of climb was such that we managed to achieve a complete "sunrise" in the West, with the sun getting wholly above the horizon (and quite a bit clear of it) by the time we reached TOPC.

Both of us were absolutely gobsmacked. (As I recall, neither of us had ever seen this before that day.) We called the FAs (sorry, hosties) up to show them this absolute wonder, and they couldn't see what we were on about - totally unimpressed. They had far more important things on their minds, like serving 90 punters their meals.