PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in the NW of WA
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2009, 11:23
FRQ Charlie Bravo

Location: ˙ǝqɐq ǝɯ ʇ,uıɐ ʇɐɥʇ 'sɔıʇɐqoɹǝɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɯɐu ɹıǝɥʇ ʇnd ǝɯos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under 200 hours it is somewhat likely that you will find it a bit harder to find work but having said that if you can sell yourself another way then it shouldn't make much difference. Also, if it's going to take you a few months to save up some cash to get another 30 hours (you mentioned 170 hours) then you'd be better off spending that time on the road looking for work (where you could easily get paid to fly 30 hours in one week).

I had 175 hours when I got my first job after only three or four weeks of looking so it didn't seem to harm me.

If you wish to dwell on the worst-case scenario consider that many companies will have a 200 hour minimum due to insurance but they can either get a dispensation (and pay a slightly higher rate for that month) or just send you on ICUS runs for a week or two (PIC will meet insurers requirements). An example would be Gippsland Aeronautics' policy for all leased GA8 Airvan pilots to have 300 TT or 20 hours on type (correct me if I'm wrong). If the employer needs a GA8 driver next week and Joe Bloggs has the time then he gets the job.

747ERNG Briefly, as you are on an approved 150 hr course I highly recommend getting all of your bells and whistles (definately NVFR and then Tailwheel, Aeros or whatever you desire) before the CPL just to save on taxes.

Good luck to all for this upcoming job hunting season. Remember it's usually FIRST IN BEST DRESSED so get current, mail out a hundred or so CVs, kiss Mummy goodbye, pack your grocery store shelf stocking gloves (for your new job at Coles or Woolies) and get up there before your mates.

FRQ CB