PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worth Doing an Instructor Rating during Credit Crunch???
Old 1st Feb 2009, 01:08
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bull****. There are no jobs. There won't be for years.

Its not complicated.

Perhaps not strictly true since it would take a brave man to confidently say that there will not be one single FI job in the whole of the UK for the next few years. I used to do the odd bit of instructing that I could fit in around my airline flying and you may be surprised to hear that I was recently asked if I could take on a couple of new students to start as soon as possible. This may be an isolated case but I hope that it highlights that the PPL training industry will still tick over during these turbulent times. There will be a select group of people who have the time and the surplus cash which will enable them to learn to fly.

You will have to look away from the populated areas and consider the more remote parts of the UK where the number of FIs looking for work will be less. I am not saying that there will be jobs at the far flung Schools and Clubs in the UK but this is where your best chance will be. Do your research and network and do not expect miracles. FI jobs will be as scarce as airline jobs and the same amount of perseverance will be required to hunt down any elusive vacancies that may exist.

However it might not be as easy as that since many would have to move if they were to exploit such an opportunity and to do so at the moment might be viewed as a gamble. Also, unless you have got a full time position then moving for a FI job will probably not be worth it.

My golden nugget of advice for a FI course has always been the following:

Do not embark on a FI course unless you have a instructional position guaranteed at the end of it.

That applies even more so at the moment...

Good luck to all