PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perception of ground crew performance in UK versus continental Europe
Old 31st Jan 2009, 22:31
ReadyToGo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant really speak for Europe, but certainly over here I think morale has been quite low at the station I am involved in. (NCL).

When I was working airside a few years ago, the attitude among the crews themselves, the banter with passengers and flying crews were what made the job a pleasure. This interaction kept spirits high and turnarounds were very much a team effort and there was pride in what we did. We knew a lot of the flying crews who were based at our station, and we helped each other out. I have even seen a first officer help out loading golf clubs when we were looking like taking a delay.

Although I no longer work at NCL, I know people who do, and they all agree the good old days are long gone. 25min turnaround times limits the chances that the crews get to know the flight crews, and as a result the teamwork element has dropped. With airlines getting really strict about delay codes, I am told that now everyone is always looking to allocate blames for delays on someone else and that cant be healthy. Add the fact that simple things like not being able to bring a bottle of lemonade to work (and being at the mercy of the airports retail prices) really have made people quite negative about the job itself.

How the British compare to the rest of Europe I don't know, but thats what I am told the attitude is like on the ground.