PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perception of ground crew performance in UK versus continental Europe
Old 31st Jan 2009, 21:27
PBY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly quite often to London Luton and I must say, that there is few ground crew guys with an attitude (not a great one), which I have not found at other airports. But may be, I am just unlucky. I was told, that these guys are going to be replaced, so they performance must have been noticed by the airport as well. Generally I find the UK airports less organized and they also seem to have pretty bad equipment. The stairs sway from side to side, when passengers are on it, there are no guidance into stands, less communication.
Plus in the air, they seem to have the worst radios. And the ATIS into Luton is a disaster. You are not able to get it due to interference until you are 50 miles from the airport. They don't clear you for the approach or localizer anymore (when on the loc, descend on gp). They have departures, which only Harry Potter could succesfuly fly.
As much as I enjoy the english culture if I make it through the airport into a city, I really do hate the attitude of the security guys and other complications, which you don't run into in the rest of europe. In fact, if I can, I will always avoid british airports, if travelling privately.
There seems to be an attitude "we are the best" even though sometimes I feel, that the years of glory have already passed and unless something is changed, they will not come back.
I am sure, that I am going to be crucified for my opinions, but hey, it is just my opinion.