PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2009, 16:36
jualbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome Griffiths911:
A great news for the forum and specially for this topic you to be here.

Thanks for your explanation but I suspect not RN jargon but my very improvable english. I understood when you talked about gun crew you were talking about the 4,5" one.

Very interesting the picture you put. I think the numbers on the left (20, 40, 60 from down to up) are the radar range in kilometers. I think Agave radar has a search mode and an attack mode. The last one shorter. AM-39 has a maximun range around 50 km if launched at low level, as Falklands was. I see two small echoes on the left, one big in the center and a little one just right of it.

On 25th may raid, I think Ambuscade and Alacrity were in front of AC, from the SUE point of view (N-NW/S-SW). So I didnīt match a lot the diagram. I think they would have to see a first line of ships (type 21) and behind them, the capital ships. The 4th may raid perhaps with the external ring more or less aligned?

Navaleye, the first attempt made with the shore based MM-38 was in the night of 1st june, not in the morning of 28th. They launched the missile against a group of two ships. MM-38 range is 45 km but due to be linked to a RASIT radar which effective range is only 30 km, this was in fact the real range.

So, or Avenger incident is in another date and during night (as shore gunfire used to be) or well is another unknown incident. That day FAA and COAN flew some missions from the mainland although all didnīt find target due to extreme fog condition during all day. In fact all were planified to support combat on Goose Green.

Regards

PS: What a great contact a Glamorgan crew member