PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter over Grand Canyon - which company wont kill me ?
Old 30th Jan 2009, 22:29
B Sousa
Gatvol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N-number : N17758Aircraft Serial Number : V55-396T
Aircraft Manufacturer : SIKORSKY/ORLANDO
Model : S-55
Engine Manufacturer : AIRESEARCH
Model : TSE331 SERIES
Aircraft Year : 1996
Owner Name : FOXTROT INC
Owner Address : 12515 WILLOWS RD NE STE 200
KIRKLAND, WA, 98034-8795
Type of Owner : Co-ownership
Registration Date : 17-Aug-1998
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Normal
I dont think it has been used in years. Last I heard, and I dont know how true it is, was that it had a "hard landing" a few years back and then sort of disappeared....... Kirkland is Papillons "Home Base" so I only assume its one of their companies.

If you trace the history of Papillon it goes back quite a ways. The founder of the Company a Mr Halvorsen has been around the Helicopter industry for years. Im sure his life will become a book someday if it has not already. He built quite a dynasty. Today, as I understand it, the Daughter runs the tourism side (Grand Canyon Helicopter, Papillon Airways etc.) one of the sons runs the utility side ( Rainier Heli-Lift). I know they used to be a player in the Hawaiin market until bad weather did some serious Helicopter destruction (not crashes, storm damage).
Someone for sure will fill in the blanks. I flew for them under Dave Muhr and then Steve Adams. Both good guys. Times change, and we all moved on......