PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Air Traffic Controllers are exploited by ASA
Old 30th Jan 2009, 19:54
BMW-Z4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes this got my ulcers boiling again...why:

First in answer to Dicks previous comments: it was the sixties but it was also through to the late eighties until 20 years in the Aviation Hall of Chaos began. Just becasuse it was a good system then does not automatically mean it is suddenly a bad system just because you say so. Many many say otherwise and the many will still be here pitching this line whilst you continue to spin. I have been involved in change management all my life but nothing like I've seen in the past 20 years.

If I had been involved with this I'd emigrate before it caught up with me.

Young pilots and controllers are easy prey because they have no memory or knowledge of the simpilicity, effectiveness (service) and efficiency of that system. I groan when I hear that some are actually believing your spin.

The relationship between Airservices and ATC is bad; and not isolated.
This is fundamentally the result of changes that happened in the early nineties (and I am certainly not against change however not stupid change). That period of change was borne from ill considered opinion, tragic and manipulative implementation processes, greed and cowardice. Only a few were part of the design, only a few benefited and many were cowardly in permitting the decimation of the aviation system.

The aviation system was cohesive and integrated. It included Pilots, ATC, FS, OPS, Regulation, Airspace, Procedures, Airports and facilites. The far reaching and decimating effect of 20 Years in the Aviation Hall of Chaos has caused the separation and dysfunction of almost all of these areas. Look at GA (what GA and why?). Look at GAAP, major airports, ATS service, regulation. All greed managed with profit and bonuses for the few, no integration, dysfunctional managment and service. Find me a pilot or ATC that knows what is going on at their airport or others. Find me a manager in ATS or CASA that knows what is going on in the other organisations. Find me a pilot or controller that has intimate knowledge and competence in all types of airspace with all procedures.

They used to.

Now look at relationships between management and staff in the disparate areas of what was the aviation system and ask about cause:
20 Years in the Aviation Hall of Chaos.

Last edited by BMW-Z4; 30th Jan 2009 at 20:01. Reason: typos