PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerial Photography
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2009, 11:55
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm intrigued. By this, do you mean that, with a PPL, I could legally fly myself to a business meeting (instead of driving), and get my employer to reimburse me just as they would if I'd driven?

How about if I take along three of my colleagues to said meeting?
Yes that is basically correct with one uncertainty. You can fly for business or pleasure. What you cannot do is to charge for your services as a pilot and neither you or your employer can charge your colleagues for the use of the aircraft. As long as it is used in the legitimate course of your business and as you said instead of taking your car that is ok.

Lets take it further your company may have a contract in some difficult to get to location. They could either purchase or lease an aircraft to cover that need and meet the costs of that aircraft. They could employ a commercial pilot to fly it for them. They could transport their employees on that aircraft.

You as a PPL are licenced to fly the aircraft. If you drove a rented car to the location with your colleagues you would not expect your company to pay you as a taxi driver or to charge your colleagues for the trip.

What you may need to check is the insurance cover and the companies own insurance to make sure that the proposed operation and you as a PPL are acceptable.

I am not sure as an employee rather than an owner of the company whether the rental should be in the companies name. Ie whether you renting it as a private individual and then claiming the costs back is legitimate as the rental should be directly with your company.

Ie Joe Bloggs enterprises Ltd rents and pays for the aircraft with you flying it as a licenced PPL and an employee of theirs.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 30th Jan 2009 at 12:16.