PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Air Traffic Controllers are exploited by ASA
Old 30th Jan 2009, 03:20
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Capcom, what a classic justification of “That is what we used to do in the past and it may never be changed.”

Try telling an American or Canadian controller that Class C without radar is “far easier to manage than the VFR shooting gallery of E.” They would simply laugh at you and query your experience level.

I didn’t exploit ATC by handing them the responsibility for the old Flight Service airspace. My plan (and I’m sure you know it) was that the Class G airspace would be upgraded to Class E – as per the USA. Look at this diagram.

No one would be exploited - if more controllers were necessary to operate Class E, then they must be provided.

You ask me about one location in the US where ICAO Class E rules are used above a Class D tower. There are over 350 Class D towers in the USA – all with Class E above. Over 50% of these towers do not have radar coverage in the airspace immediately above the Class D.

An example of a Class D tower is Williamsport airport, approximately 130 miles to the west of Washington DC, in some of the most densely trafficked airspace in the world. There is no radar coverage in the Class E airspace immediately above the Class D tower, and the controllers love the airspace design as it makes it clear who is responsible for what.

Capcom, it is pathetic to use one accident as an example of why airspace design should not be scientifically allocated.

In relation to Benalla, I don’t want ATCs to protect you OCTA, I want the airspace to be upgraded to Class E – which when IMC exists is identical to Class A.