PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senario - do we need an alternate?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2009, 01:13
Gundog01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhinged,

I was probably reading between the lines of several posts on this thread with the 'getting away' with it comment. I'm well aware of hand flying and the difficulties associated with single pilot ops in remote areas. However, it would be prudent (via VHF, HF or relay) if any doubt exists about your destination to do your upmost to obtain an update prior to a decision point (PSR, PSD etc), even more so if your 200nm west of Mt Isa or halfway between Alice Springs and Kal with very limited options.

Who cares,

I'm fairly certain that the "but our OPS manual says" defence won't wash at the BOI. Back to your tempo question, absolutely. To be legal (once you have obtained your inflight update and recieved info about the Tempo) you must carry tempo fuel or fuel for an alternate. You are now aware of an operational requirement and must cater for it. If your are past any suitable alt and out of options then PAN and press hoping you get in between the TEMPO conditions.

Dragun,

I personally think the reg's are quite black and white. As published earlier AIP mentions nothing about WX, Lighting or Navaids only being assessed pre-flight.

To flip the question. If you recieved an update airborne that the ILS was out for you destination would you be legally obligated to hold an ALT (if WX was below alt min for the next most accurate aid) based on the new information, even though you are past the flight planning stage. Of course you would. Wx updates are no different.

Last edited by Gundog01; 30th Jan 2009 at 01:24.